Thank you for your interest in IBEW 743 JATC apprenticeship program.
Applications will be accepted October 1, 2021 through February 11, 2022. You may apply online prior to the intake dates; however, applications will not begin processing until October 2021. Your application is not complete until the apprentice office also receives your school transcript indicating a passing grade in algebra (college, high school or GED are acceptable transcripts). Please note transcripts will need to be provided each time you apply for the apprenticeship, apprentice office does need keep previously submitted transcripts if you were not previously selected.
THERE ARE THREE (3) WAYS TO APPLY: Please note: You must provide high school, college or GED transcripts as well as complete the application. If transcripts/GED are not received, your application will be archived and not processed.
- Click on Apply Now, read the pre-requisites to apply and at the bottom of the page click on Download Application to Complete and Submit Online. Upon completion hit submit button; this will automatically send your application to the Apprentice Office and you will receive an automatic confirmation of receipt email.
- Click on Apply Now, read the pre-requisites to apply and at the bottom on the page click on Download Application to Print and Complete by Hand. Upon completion please return your application to the Apprentice Office, 20 Morgan Drive, Reading, PA 19608, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at the physical location in the “Applications Drop-Box”. The drop-box is located in the vestibule inside the first door of our main entrance.
- Pick up an application at our physical location, applications packets are located in the vestibule inside the first door of our main entrance. The application is lengthy please feel free to take it with you and return upon completion.
- ***Please check the jurisdiction map before applying as you must live in Local 743’s jurisdiction to be potentially selected as an apprentice in the Reading Joint Apprenticeship Program. Click on “About” at the top of this page and drop down to jurisdiction map, enter your home address and make sure you reside within the shaded area.
TO QUALIFY FOR AN INTERVIEW YOU MUST (prerequisites):
- Complete an application
- Provide an official transcript (high school, college, GED) indicating passing grade in algebra if transcript is not received your application will be archived and not processed. Contact your high school and have them forward your transcript to Apprentice Office, 20 Morgan Drive, Reading, PA 19608 or email to email@example.com
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Be a high school graduate (or graduation pending within year of intake)or have passed the GED
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Make a qualifying score on the aptitude test (you will be notified by mail of aptitude test date)
REQUIREMENTS OF THE INSIDE ELECTRICAL APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM:
- Must possess a laptop computer for classroom and homework assignments.
- Five (5) year program with classroom training
- 8000 hours on-the-job training – Current Apprentice Wage Scale
- Classes meet 3 hours per night for 2 nights each week for a minimum of 200 hours per school year (please note: there is potential for some mandatory Saturday classes/assignments)
- Required to buy school books each year (varies by school year)
- Pass a urine drug screening (UDS) upon selection into the apprenticeship program.
Applications and Transcripts
You must have your high school and/or the state furnish this office with an official transcript(s)/GED. If you request your transcript online the transcript should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Apprentice Office, 20 Morgan Drive, Reading, PA 19608. You may drop it off in the applications drop-box in the vestibule but it must be sealed.
***If your transcript/GED is not received your application will be archived and not processed.
It is your responsibility to contact this office to be sure the transcript has been received.
Preferred method of contact is email at email@example.com
Applications/Transcripts: Submission of both required documents will ensure spot for Aptitude Test.
High school students applying prior to graduation are still required to submit their current transcript for consideration into the program.
Those applicants who have submitted their transcripts will be notified by mail to come in for an aptitude test – date to be determined. The aptitude test covers general reading comprehension and math.
Please note: There is no fee to apply, however, those applicants who qualify for the aptitude test (by submitting their transcripts) will be required to pay a $10 processing fee for the aptitude test. Payment must be submitted the morning of the test; cash or checks made payable to IBEW LU 743 Rdg Joint Apprenticeship (we can stamp your check the morning of if preferred.) If payment is not presented you will not be allowed to take the test.
Voluntary math and reading comprehension courses are available online at www.ElectricPrep.com. Basic mathematical and reading comprehension skills are essential to qualify for the apprenticeship. Electric Prep offers a refresher course for a fee to review the key mathematical and reading comprehension skills associated with the trade. The refresher courses are optional, not a requirement.
Notification of All Documents Received
Upon obtaining a qualifying score on the aptitude test you will be notified by mail of an interview date with the committee.
Change of Address
Information concerning the status of your application, after all documents are received, will be provided only by mail; therefore, you must notify this office of any change of address.